Postural and Habitual Strains
Postural and Habitual Strains are the issues I see everyday - and they are the biggest and sneakiest problems today, which cause a lot of common symptoms that people complain about all the time and are not aware of why they are getting these symptoms.
Common Symptoms and Causes
Common symptoms complained about every day that can be caused from postural and habitual strain.
Do any of these symptoms sound familiar to you?
- Headaches, Migraines,
- Thick head feeling
- Short term memory loss
- Fuzzy head or cant quite think right, thinking is foggy.
- Grumpiness, mood swings
- Sensitivity to light
- Just don't feel right.
- Sore neck, stiff neck, tight neck
- Shoulder pain, stiffness,
- Pain and or stiffness in the arms, elbow, wrist, hand.
- Pins and needles or numbness down the arm, in the hand or fingers.
- Tennis elbow
- Carpal tunnel
- Mid back pain
- Breathing difficulties
- Digestive problems
- Nausea or just feel sick
- Lower back pain or stiffness
- Sacrum pain
- Hip pain or stiffness
- Pain or and pins needles or numbness down the leg knee or foot toes.
- Knee Problems
These would be some of the most common symptoms that most practitioners hear from patients every day.
It is my experience that these common symptoms are caused 95% of the time by neuromuscular skeletal problems, relating to postural habit or repetitive strain. Because when treated - these symptoms go away almost immediately.
This sneaky problem as I call it does not seem to be taken into consideration when diagnosing these common symptoms by other professionals they are mostly treated with medication which most of the time doesn't work and that is according to the patient. When the medication doesn't work and all test come up OK they are told it is all in their head.
These common symptoms I have seen in my clinic on an average of 10 times a day 4 to 5 days a week, 50 weeks of a year, for over 25 years...
I want to bring this sneaky problem to everybody's attention.
I want to make you think about what you do and how you do it and how many times a day, month year you do it.
The major problem being that you cannot see yourself and you don't know how often you are doing things or what little habits you are getting into, and how often you do these habits.
I have made a list of all the most common habits to date to give to you.
This list of course is my opinion from experiencing a very high success rate of relieving peoples suffering and making people aware of what they are doing, treating it and following up with management so that they can help themselves.
Common posture and habit forming strains to the body
There are a lot more - look for excessive repetitive things that you do.
- Hand bags on the shoulder = holding shoulder is held up.
- Cell phone to the ear = Head tilts down to the phone.
- Computer posture = head forward and extended
- Shoulders forward and up
- Back slouched
- Arm held up for long time no support.
- Position at computer incorrect (chair)
- Head forward and flexed for long periods of time. Reading
- Head extended for long periods of time as in painting ceilings.
- Bumping the head mini bumps or big ones.
- Head hits as in rugby or boxing or abuse.
- Cleaning windows or ceilings. Head extended and arms are up for hours
- Sleeping on two pillows = Strained neck muscles
- Sleeping on the stomach. Head rotated to breathe causes neck pain.
- Muscle energy testing often enough = arm and shoulder and neck strain.
- Working on one side of the table all the time.
- Getting out of the car a lot which is right sided becomes habit.
- Soccer players kicking with inside foot causes S.Pubs strain
- Shovelling incorrectly = strains the back.
- Lifting with a twist = back strain.
- Bumping the lateral leg on table corners.
- Vets get bumped a lot side of upper leg, from animals in pens.
- Builders carrying GIB sheets + lower Thoracics upper lumbar
- Children slouching playing games can get quite ill. Excessive S.curve
- Truck drivers hoisting themselves up into the truck many times
- Reaching for the pedal when driving the car always the right leg.
- Golfers pulling cart behind them.
- Men sitting on wallets usually right side back pocket.
- Breast feeding mums slouching causing thoracic problems.
- Mums carrying young ones around long time on hip.
- This also happens with Grandparents in school holidays.
- Also lifting kids into car chairs.
- Very young children carrying younger little ones around
- Children on trampolines can whiplash themselves mainly 3yrs to five.
- Skate boarders (look for short leg)
- Farmers in tractors when turning around a lot looking behind.
- Farmers always hoisting up on to the tractor same side every time.
- Farmers on bikes on/off a lot same side
- Going to sleep in chair watching TV.
- Watching TV lying sideways on couch.
- Weight lifters strain shoulders a lot.
- Tennis players, elbows arms wrists.
- Rugby players getting knock around a lot need Arnica to bring bruising out.
- Excessive sporting exercise not enough rest for recovery common problem.
When you read through the list of symptoms you will take note of which ones that you recognize as being something that you may have complained about.
Now you know - and can do something about it.
There are a lot of Therapies that you can learn to do for yourself to prevent it from happening.
Please Contact Sharon if you need help.